----"When I have no one around to tell me I can't. I've always done mysterious things."---- Bijay Gautam

Wednesday 26 December 2012

5 Lessons my eye injury taught me



      Year 2012 was pretty good for me, my life was moving smoothly and everything was going great. But December couldn’t hold it fair giving me a severe eye injury. It was 11th December when my left eye-glass broke and made its way through corneal region of eye. What a shock! That small glass piece was enough to penetrate deep tearing cornea, making cut in scleral zone and draining eye fluid (aqueous humor). All these happened within a second in my college practicing wrong way of having fun with friends. OMG! It could have taken my vision away, but god was by my side and never let it happen. Doctors managed to repair it by putting stiches in a one and half hour surgery. Now I am fine though my stiches are yet to be removed.
We never want these sorts of incidents to happen in our life but once they happen they teaches us many lessons. I’d like to share few lessons I learned from this injury.

Be yourself:
Most of the times, we say we have to be our self; we shouldn’t care what others say or think about us. But hardly, in practice we manage it to go this way. Same was the case for me but I found it totally different when I was injured. My left eye was sealed and I wasn’t wearing power glass so my right eye as well wasn’t providing good vision, I wasn’t seeing people around me. That one week I really was not caring what people were thinking about me. I was roaming with that big black sunglass which I could have never considered wearing it. I didn’t care who was listening and what they might be thinking of conversations I was making in public. I was totally free from thoughts like “How I might be looking?” “What she might be thinking of me?” I was being myself.
From all these incidents I was compelled to think why I am not caring all these stuffs? They used to matter very much few days ago but why not now? The reason was people around me were not visible to me. My eyes were creating an illusion that there’s no one around me. My mind accepted that illusion and induced a thought that those people were not staring at me and were not thinking about me. This thought ruled my mind and allowed me to do things totally in my own way. Thus, a simple formula of being oneself I learned was to act freely supposing that there’s no one around and no one is caring about me. And even if you hear them saying anything about you just ignore it and move ahead, be yourself.

Accept and face difficulties:
Life is not always a happy and cheerful journey; there exists some pain and difficulties as well. The real strength of us is determined during these situations by the way we deal with them. I was injured and it was a real tough time for me going with pain of surgery and injections in eye. There was no way except facing the situation. It was teaching me whether you sit and cry in difficult situation or wake up and say with courage that I can face and solve it, choice is yours. Hardships are meant to face not to run away from them. The more we run the greater problem becomes. I got to learn when we are optimistic and pretend our self a light, there lies no darkness. We have to be ready all the time to accept and face any kind of problems in life. There still exists possibility within problem; we just have to try finding them.

Every problem comes with validity:
The third lesson I learned was no problems stays permanently. We are all with expiry date so does problems. Though they appear to be bigger today they will no longer be problem next day. It depend ally upon us how are we dealing with the adverse situation. We can shorten life of these kinds of situations not by focusing on problem but by thinking most of times on positive aspect of it. Be patience, have faith and divert your mind to solution rather than haunting brain with problem time and again. Develop internal confidence that you are strong enough to deal with this problem and make sure that the problem is not shaking your faith.
Most importantly I got to understand that validity of any kind of problem is increased with our increased focus on negative aspect of it. I was feeling like condition of my eyes were even worsening when I used to see stiches and focused that I still have redness in my eyes but oppositely I used to feel very well and almost healed when I focused  that I was able to see and the pressure was perfect. It ultimately decreased the healing time. The problem remains with us as long as we wish it to be with us.

Never feel disgraced:
When my eye was injured, for a moment I considered I’ve lost my vision and have to depend on one eye vision. That was the time what taught me to be happy on what I have. I was thinking that I am still fine with single eye as there are millions lacking even that one eye. I was able to see with one eye that was even enough; there was no point in feeling disgraced. What we own is never less; we have to make most use of it. We can see some sightless people are doing amazing works while people having two eyes are not being able to make most use of it. Feeling disgraced or cursed is only excuse from not doing things because it’s our will what stop from doing things rather that our physical body. I want to remember great work of Stephen Hawkins here whose only two fingers out of his whole body was mobile, but still he never gave up. No one and no circumstances can stop us from growing and succeeding except our thoughts and will.

Feel how it feels being disabled:
 I might have lectured many times before explaining the pain and feeling of those people who never got to see the world but this injury gave me an opportunity to feel it. World was invisible for me, I was for a moment unable to feel beauty of world. I was dependent on my dad before I made a single move. Those few hours were like decades for me what about those permanently disabled? I was expecting people around me to behave pleasantly. It hurt me badly when I found myself in their situation. I never felt like to stand in bus or metro as I was seeking someone to get up and provide me their seat. Experiencing all these incidents I felt how it feels being disabled. I got to understand disabled peoples should never be made feel that they are inferior to we normal beings. They must be respected and promoted to do work they have interest so that they can find their value and status in community. Our words should never hurt their heart. It’s our duty to help them in need and make them feel better. 

Thank you for reading this post. Don’t forget to leave a comment and follow the blog. You may also like at www.facebook.com/bjaygtm and write me at bjaygtm@gmail.com
     

No comments:

Post a Comment